Re: 64-bit version of Lilypond?

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: 64-bit version of Lilypond?
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 07:06:57 -0500

On 3/15/2019 4:44 AM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
I have been following this thread with half an eye. What is the
problem exactly?
Here's my understanding so far.

* The next version of macOS will only run 64-bit software. (The current "Mojave" version runs 32-bit, but gives a warning.)

* LilyPond has no macOS 64-bit version now. Unless one is made, users of the next macOS will need Homebrew or MacPorts to get LilyPond, much less convenient than the current macOS installer from lilypond.org.

* LilyPond's macOS 32-bit version includes the OSX-LilyPad text editor with graphical user interfaces built on Apple's Mac OSX SDK. The current SDK 10.4u version will apparently not build for 64-bit. A newer SDK is needed for 64-bit builds.

* Newer SDK versions with 64-bit support have license requirements to only run on Apple-branded hardware. This rules out using GUB on Linux, as well as all other Linux cross-build for macOS efforts I've seen. They all say "Get the XCode installer, find this SDK package, extract like so." All in seeming violation of the XCode Software License Agreement.

* Having a separate build process for a macOS installer will need more effort from the person doing the builds. They'd have to run GUB as in the past, then also do something else for the Mac build.

I think the separate-build-for-Mac question needs comments from people who have produced the official builds for lilypond.org. In my experience, that's been Phil Holmes.

Phil? Anyone? How much extra effort for macOS builds would be tolerable?

(In any case; with or without Apple hardware. All aside from matter-of-principle objections to Apple's license requirement.)

PS: Possible future research on whether Linux can build something for macOS using only what's available at opensource.apple.com.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA