Re: github mirror of lilypond?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: github mirror of lilypond?
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 22:03:09 +0100

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> Am Sonntag, den 19.01.2020, 20:31 +0000 schrieb Erlend Aasland:
>> True. But, there are GitHub alternatives that are free, for example
>> Gitea.
>
> Yes, but self-hosting a Git repository software (well, I have a Gitea
> instance on my server) is an involved thing, and I don't think it's
> reasonable to expect putting that burden and responsibility on
> someone's personal shoulders.
> I don't think that's an option for us either, although it would be the
> way to go on a conceptual level. We'd have some money to pay for the
> server and the maintenance...

Janek offered today to invest the work getting to a solution if he's not
getting bogged down in arguments.  It is obvious that our current
available resources will not result in an ethically as well as
technically gratifying solution and our current setup, while marvelously
supported by several volunteers, does not seem well-suited for
attracting new contributors or even reattracting dormant ones, and it's
not like the current SourceForge/Google mixture registers high in the
"GNU project standards supportive" category.

So I think we should give serious consideration for what he comes up
with.  The GNU maintainer guidelines have some comments about hosting
choices: I'll try digging them up tomorrow and there may be some point
to avoiding the "worst offender" category.

But we already ran out of steam in the self-hosting challenge on Allura:
there is not much of a sense in aiming higher than we can expect to
shoot eventually.