[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: switching to Python 3.x

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: switching to Python 3.x
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 15:42:51 +0100

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 3:33 PM David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> What David is concerned about (as far as I understand) is that we need
> >> to modify the spec for LilyPond to require the new python3 package as a
> >> dependency. This will (obviously) not work for packaging 2.20.
> >
> > Fair enough, but that would only be a problem if we ever have to
> > produce a 2.20.1 . We could delay 2.21.0 for a while.
> I prefer pushing out 2.21.0 right after 2.20.0.  It's been too long in
> the making by far already.  And while the 2.20 release is not quite
> within the time frame I aimed for a week ago (contact me for details), I
> don't expect the additional delay to be able to push 2.20 beyond
> February.
> > If we get lucky, we never have to produce a 2.20.1. If we do, we might
> > have to backport the py3 patch.
> 2.20 is in maintenance mode for as long as 2.22 is not out yet.
> Considering the amount of stuff stacking up on the 2.22 slate right now
> regarding platform support alone, that is likely going to be a while.
> I don't think that Python3 will port to PowerPC, so a backport of
> Py3-only code would entail cutting its support in the middle of the 2.20
> lifetime.  To be honest, I already had suggested cutting it before 2.20
> but was met with resistance.

OK. So what is your proposal for how to proceed with Jonas' patch?

Han-Wen Nienhuys - address@hidden -

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]