Re: Add Code of Conduct

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Add Code of Conduct
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2020 00:52:33 +0100

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> Am Sa., 8. Feb. 2020 um 14:59 Uhr schrieb Kieren MacMillan
> <address@hidden>:
>
>> To me, the greatest shame is that all the positive energy and
>> momentum coming out of the Salzburg conference is, it seems, in real
>> danger of being shut down by toxic energy of the same kind that has
>> led to the community attrition over the last 5-7 years.
>>
>> Just an observation from someone who’s been here since 2003, and
>> watched this movie before.
>
> Hi Kieren,
>
> I'd like to fully agree to your statement about the positive energy,
> etc out of the Salzburg conference.
> It was a great event and great to meet so many people and great to
> (I'll stop continuing the list ...).
> Again a big, big THANK YOU to Werner and all who made it possible!!
>
> We discussed many plans, among them (without claim of completeness)
> - developer-tools (move to GitHub or similar)
> - implement stuff from openlilylib
> - CoC
> - finally migrate to guile-2
> - ...

Did we discuss a Code of Conduct?  I might have brought this upon myself
with my "clever" talk title about "Conduct of Code" as an antithesis to
a "Code of Conduct" focused approach of making people get along with
each other.  I actually just received a rejection of a "Conduct of Code"
talk at the Chemnitzer Linuxtage since the organisers thought that
projects "LaTeX", "Emacs" and "LilyPond" were not really suitable as
projects showcasing a "Code of Conduct".  Which was sort of the point.
Nobody reads abstracts anymore.

So maybe I'm responsible for bringing up the idea in the first place
because of being too confusing in my choice of title, and people just
thought "David sure forgets what he promised to be talking about".

My replies have a tendency to cause friction.  To help mitigating
damage, feel free to forward problematic posts to me adding a subject
like "timeout 1d" (for a suggested timeout of 1 day) or "offensive".