Re: a new way to build LilyPond binary releases

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: a new way to build LilyPond binary releases
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2020 13:59:08 +0100

Il giorno gio 12 mar 2020 alle 14:39, Jonas Hahnfeld <address@hidden> ha scritto:
The usage of plain archives has the advantage that the user can install and move the files anywhere, without invoking any installer. That is by
design, but maybe there's a valid use case for installers that I'm
missing? Uninstalling is just as easy as deleting the files (the
scripts from GUB don't do more than that anyhow).

If you use lilypond with Frescobaldi only, this approach is fine.

But if you want to use it in a terminal, then you have to make some adjustments: adding the path to PATH for each version installed,... (and you don't have the man page available, but I admit it's not that useful.)
I find installers convenient in this regard.