Re: config.status has been broken by issue 5780 "Accept GUILE 2 without

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: config.status has been broken by issue 5780 "Accept GUILE 2 without extra configure options"
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2020 10:14:11 +0100

Am Freitag, den 13.03.2020, 23:09 -0600 schrieb Anthony Fok:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 2:02 AM Jonas Hahnfeld <
> address@hidden
> > wrote:
> > I'm still not convinced that we need compatibility code, but I'm happy
> > with anything that gets us to a release and is not technically wrong.
>
> By the way, from a Debian package maintainer point of view, breaking
> backward compatibility is OK as long as it is documented, so if
> breaking backward compatibility makes the code cleaner, more correct,
> and/or easier to maintain for the future, I'd say "please break
> compatibility"!

I definitely think that's the case here.

> But of course, if that's the case, please document the change in
> INSTALL.txt or something like that, and say something like "Warning
> (especially for packagers): New instructions for building, different
> from 2.20.0!  Please read INSTALL.txt" in the release notice on
> http://lilypond.org/news.html
>  would be quite sufficient.  ;-)

And I fully agree here. My first patch from last weekend showed an
error: "Non-empty GUILE_CONFIG detected, support has been removed.
The new interface uses pkg-config. Please check that configure finds
the right version. If needed, set PKG_CONFIG_PATH and
PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR."

For documentation in INSTALL.txt, I'd propose to replace
"Use version 1.8.8. Version 2.x of Guile is not currently supported."
with
"Use version 1.8.8 and set PKG_CONFIG_PATH or PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR for
configure to find it. Version 2.x of Guile will be fully supported in
the future and is already used if no other installation is found."

Would that meet your expectations?

Jonas