Re: Tidy check on Ubuntu Xenial

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Tidy check on Ubuntu Xenial
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2020 00:39:27 +0100

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 9:16 PM Dan Eble <address@hidden> wrote:
> Tidy is specified as OPTIONAL in configure.ac.  The reason it is there is
> that I found it valuable when I was working on output-distance.py several
> months ago, but you should be able to omit it from your Docker image and
> everything should still work.  You just won't be checking the generated HTML.
>
> I assume the warnings are incorrect, otherwise you would be asking for help
> to fix them rather than asking whether checking the HTML is valuable.  Is
> that assumption correct?

The version on Xenial generates these warnings, while the version on
Fedora doesn't, which is pretty confusing.

If this is optional, and not even part of James' build that
we use for qualifying pushes, I think there is little value in having
this integrated in the build.  You could just do

  for  f in $(find -name '*.html') ; do  tidy -q -o/dev/null $f ; done

to verify that it's working as expected when working on output-distance.

> If these are false positives coming from the version of tidy provided with
> Xenial, then I think it would make sense for the configure script to avoid
> using that version of tidy.  The level of makefile complexity involved is
> minor.

but we qualify the release on Xenial.