Re: Tidy check on Ubuntu Xenial

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Tidy check on Ubuntu Xenial
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2020 15:26:43 +0100

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 2:33 AM Dan Eble <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mar 14, 2020, at 19:39, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 9:16 PM Dan Eble <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> I assume the warnings are incorrect, otherwise you would be asking for
> >> help to fix them rather than asking whether checking the HTML is valuable.
> >>  Is that assumption correct?
> >
> > The version on Xenial generates these warnings, while the version on
> > Fedora doesn't, which is pretty confusing.
>
> Certainly, but the question is whether they are legitimate.

Nobody has complained about HTML compliance of the regtests, so I
think this is fine either way.

> >  You could just do
> >
> >  for  f in $(find -name '*.html') ; do  tidy -q -o/dev/null $f ; done
> >
> > to verify that it's working as expected when working on output-distance.
>
> How many grains of rice make a heap?  Line up all the small things in a
> makefile that "you could just do" and it isn't long before you can't just do
> them anymore.

Line up all the things you could just add to the Makefile, and you'll
end up with large Makefiles that are hard to understand and maintain.
This is the place where we are today, and I'd rather move away from
that.