Re: What's up with the broken web pages?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: What's up with the broken web pages?
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2020 15:23:57 +0200

Joram Noeck <address@hidden> writes:

> Definitely a python2/3 issue. While python2 uses byte strings by
> default, strings are Unicode strings in python3 and byte strings need to
> be decoded first.
>
> Surely, you know that

Uh, no?  While I certainly am a natural at embodying a know-it-all, my
expertise is not universal.

> and the question is: which part of the website creation is not fully
> ported to python3.
>

> python2 [2.7.17]
> ('abc', u'abc', 'abc', 'abc')
>
> python3 [3.6.9]
> ('abc', 'abc', b'abc', b'abc')

That suggests more of a "which part of the website creation has no
qualms mixing up print forms to be read back into Python and actual uses
of strings in a manner that luckily happens to work in Python2" kind of
diagnosis, though it's completely out of my region of expertise.  Could
be that the designers of Python rather than its users deserve part of
the blame here.  No idea.