Re: Issue #1204: Document, and add regtest for, external fonts. (issue 5

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Issue #1204: Document, and add regtest for, external fonts. (issue 557640051 by address@hidden)
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 09:17:37 +0200

Am Sonntag, den 19.04.2020, 23:24 +0200 schrieb David Kastrup:
> Jonas Hahnfeld <address@hidden> writes:
> > To avoid this from happening again, can we please have the rule that
> > whoever reverts a commit or backs it out of staging is to provide
> > guidance on what's actually wrong? My feeling is that we could have had
> > this analysis last week already.
>
> At that day I was having one patchy run after the other and I did go
> through the log files to indicate the failed file and the error message.
> I also compiled and ran this by hand and gave the error messages clearly
> indicating a non-empty directory.  At some point of time, I dropped the
> shoe.  It did not help my focus at that time that Han-Wen was fighting a
> contribution of mine nail and tooth.
>
> A "rule" would not have helped since I did not end up dropping the shoe
> out of malice.  I went back several times to the problem, just not often
> enough to get a final diagnosis.  At some point of time I had to sleep.
>
> Once we determine that I am endangering the project with my wanton
> recklessness, we might try reining me in with rules.  And since
> basically no-one else bothers reverting commits or backing them out of
> staging, such rules would pretty much apply only to me.
>
> It's not like we have an abundance of people to commandeer here.

That's certainly not what I wanted to imply.
My consideration is that this patch went through the countdown twice
(and then some). It passed all tests before pushing, yet got reverted.
The failure was apparently hard to reproduce (which makes the case
tricky), so maybe this is just beyond what usually happens with a
patch?
Please take my statements as thoughts about how to improve experience
for contributors. I think there are better ways to spend your time than
guessing which part of your patch broke on a particular system.

Jonas