Re: Documentation: Remove deprecated skeleton-update (issue 545910043 by

From: jonas . hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Documentation: Remove deprecated skeleton-update (issue 545910043 by address@hidden)
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 10:24:41 -0700

On 2020/04/20 09:09:22, fedelogy wrote:
> On 2020/04/19 15:04:38, hahnjo wrote:
> > As I'm not doing translations myself, it would be great if somebody
familiar
> > with the process could comment on the faith of
> > scripts/auxiliar/texi-skeleton-update.py: It's not failing, but to
me doesn't
> > look like doing anything helpful either.
>
> I remember I tried using it when I started the translation about 10
years ago
> and it wasn't helpful at all.
> I'm Ok with removing it. Other translators will hopefully confirm (or
not).

I've removed it in the updated patch set. If somebody needs it after
this patch landed (which I'll delay a bit to give a fair chance for
objection), we can still restore it from the git history.

> However, I would not remove completely that section in the CG.
> In general, the documentation doesn't take anything for granted,
especially when
> information is addressed to newcomers.
> I would write something like:
>
> """
> Adding a Texinfo manual
>
> In order to start translating a new manual, simply copy the english
files within
> your language directory and translate them.
> For example, if you want to translate the first chapter of the
Learning Manual:

> cp Documentation/learning.tely Documentation/LANG/learning.tely
> cp Documentation/learning/tutorial.itely
Documentation/LANG/tutorial.itely
> """

Ah, that matches more closely what I would have expected. I've added
your text to the patch, thanks!

https://codereview.appspot.com/545910043/