Re: Annoying 'langdefs.py' warning

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Annoying 'langdefs.py' warning
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 17:18:36 +0200

Am Sonntag, den 19.04.2020, 17:22 +0200 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:
> >> Is there a way to suppress them?
> >
> > Well, submitting fixes?
>
> I looked into both issues some time ago, but couldn't find out a good
> solution.  Thanks to your clean-ups I can imagine that it's now easier
> to handle both problems.
>
> > IIRC langdefs.py complains that we set LANG=C in the build
> > process. Not really sure what the correct solution is, could be as
> > easy as removing the warning (don't scream at me if not...)
>
> :-)
>
> > [...] If nobody objects, I can probably prepare a patch (obvious
> > caveat: take care of values used from
> > stepmake/stepmake/podir-vars.make).
>
> Great, and thanks in advance!

https://codereview.appspot.com/551830043

I hope I covered all existing use cases that should continue to be
live:
 - make po-update and po-replace work from top-level
 - make -C Documentation/po/ po-update does *something*

However I'm pretty sure that many translations in the latter are dead:
As far as I understand we don't translate the docs by putting the
strings in Documentation/po, but rather by copying the files and
translating them below Documentation/lang. Still, translations for the
footer in HTML pages appear to be used (like "Other languages:" and
"About automatic language selection"). Whoever is interested in
improving this situation is more than welcome!

Jonas