Re: Annoying 'langdefs.py' warning

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Annoying 'langdefs.py' warning
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 09:46:07 +0200

Am Samstag, den 25.04.2020, 21:53 +0200 schrieb Francisco Vila:
> El 24/4/20 a las 17:18, Jonas Hahnfeld escribió:
> > However I'm pretty sure that many translations in the latter are dead:
> > As far as I understand we don't translate the docs by putting the
> > strings in Documentation/po, but rather by copying the files and
> > translating them below Documentation/lang.
>
> Documentation/po/'lang'.po used to work as a way to get comments in
> verbatim code translated. In a certain point of time it stopped working.
> This is what I'd like to see improved.

My patch leaves all the infrastructure and existing translations in
place if somebody (not me) wants to make this work again. However
please keep in mind that translating snippets will render 'make doc'
even slower because it has to compile them for every language instead
of once.

> > Still, translations for the
> > footer in HTML pages appear to be used (like "Other languages:" and
> > "About automatic language selection"). Whoever is interested in
> > improving this situation is more than welcome!
>
> Any improvements here should not prevent anyone of seeing every page in
> all other languages if he wants to, I think.

Agreed, that should stay the way it is. Actually I wanted to express
that just deleting the files would break existing functionality that is
actually useful to have.

Jonas