Re: Add a script for running timing benchmarks (issue 545950043 by addre

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Add a script for running timing benchmarks (issue 545950043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 20:04:18 +0000

> I can host this script somewhere else so it can be referenced in the CG,
> but I don't think there optimizing our C++ code  is a domain for
> beginners.

I may be off the mark here, but what about adding your speed test into
the standard regression test suite? I know the regtests are already
measured for compilation time, but IIRC there’s no middle-size score
compilation such as the horn thing, separate from the rest,
specifically to get an inkling as to which changes in the codebase may
result in speed gains or unwanted slowdowns (not noticeable
otherwise). If this means adding 20s or so to `make check’, couldn’t
that be a bargain worth discussing?

Cheers,
-- V.