Re: GSoC 2020: make hangs when making fonts

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: GSoC 2020: make hangs when making fonts
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 23:40:33 +0200

Am Mo., 29. Juni 2020 um 22:43 Uhr schrieb Owen Lamb <owendlamb@gmail.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> On Friday, make started hanging when making the first .pfb font file,
> displaying no new information after:
>
> Making mf/out/feta11.pfb < mf
> Copyright (c) 2000-2014 by George Williams. See AUTHORS for Contributors.
>  License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <
> http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
>  with many parts BSD <http://fontforge.org/license.html>. Please read
> LICENSE.
>  Based on sources from 20170812-ML-D.
>  Based on source from git with hash:
>
> After ctrl-C'ing the attempt, the following is displayed:
>
> ^Cmf2pt1: You'll need to install FontForge if you want feta11.pfb
> autohinted (not required, but strongly recommended)
> /home/dev/lilypond-git/build/.././mf/GNUmakefile:36: recipe for target
> 'out/feta11.log' failed
> make[1]: *** [out/feta11.log] Interrupt
> /home/dev/lilypond-git/build/../stepmake/stepmake/generic-targets.make:6:
> recipe for target 'all' failed
> make: *** [all] Interrupt
>
> At first, I thought it was my latest changes that broke it, but the build
> fails no matter what commit or branch I checkout. So far, I've tried
> running make on:
>
>    - my own dev/lamb/GSoC-2020,
>    - a few commits in my work's history,
>    - the point at which current master and my branch diverge (i.e. what
>    master was at right before I started work), and
>    - the current state of master.
>
> All of them provide the same error message described above.
>
> FontForge is installed and functional, so I'm not sure why mf2pt1 thinks I
> don't have it. I also tried installing a fresh copy of LilyDev in case I
> somehow messed something up, but that didn't help either. Re-running
> ../configure from the build folder does not reveal any missing
> dependencies. I'm at a loss as to what else to do!
>
> Any ideas on what might have gone wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Owen

Hi Owen,

FWIW, I did:

git checkout remotes/origin/dev/lamb/GSoC-2020
rm -fr build/
sh autogen.sh --noconfigure
mkdir -p build/
cd build/
../configure
make -j3 CPU_COUNT=3

failed with:

/home/hermann/lilypond-git/flower/jsoncpp.cc: In function 'void
Json::throwRuntimeError(const String&)':
/home/hermann/lilypond-git/flower/jsoncpp.cc:2620:25: error: exception
handling disabled, use -fexceptions to enable
   throw RuntimeError(msg);
                         ^

A subsequent `make'  from current master i.e.
751d453f9172c7dff81d11181158051065badeaf
succeeded.

Not sure whether this helps...

Cheers,
  Harm

P.S.
Let me take the opportunity to thank you for your work.
Although it's a topic where I can't help, I enjoy reading your posts.
I think we should make weekly reports a requirement for all GSoC
projects in future. In the past there were projects where I may have
been able to help, but I didn't get any (at least too little) infos on
the mailing-list.