Re: Summer of Code inquiry

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Summer of Code inquiry
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 21:54:16 +0100 (CET)

Hello Kyle,

> I am a US grad student interested in the Lilypond "google summer of
> code" program.

Great!

> I am wondering if the program will run this year,

Probably yes, but...

> and if so which projects will need work

This older list

  http://lilypond.org/google-summer-of-code.html

might serve as a start.  The first item (adopting SMuFL) was the last
GSoC's project and will be integrated into LilyPond's master branch
after releasing the next stable release.  The remaining ideas are
still worth to consider, however, the mentioned mentors might not be
available anymore.  If you have further ideas please tell us.

> and who I should speak with regarding an application.

This mailing list is the right place to discuss that.

> I'm a composer/theorist with a basic grasp of Python and Scheme, and
> use Lilypond in my own work; I predict I will need to do substantial
> personal preparation to be of any use, so I wanted to get in touch
> early so that I can begin taking steps.

I suggest that you simply start by contributing small fixes and bug
reports!  You are a native English speaker, and most of us developers
are not, so polishing the main documents like the Notation Reference
(NR) or the Usage Instructions would be quite helpful.

To do so you should get acquainted with git and gitlab; for the former
you can find a LilyPond-related introduction in the Contributor's
Guide (CG – a must-read for developers).

If you are more adventurous, look at the bug tracker and search for
'Frog' issues:

https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&label_name[]=Frog

Not sure whether all of them are still valid (checking that might be
another Frog issue :-), but those bugs are classified as easy to fix.

All those tasks should give you a feeling how LilyPond's
infrastructure is set up.  Being acquainted with it is a prerequisite
for handling any future GSoC project.

    Werner