Re: Stale branches in the canonical repository

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Stale branches in the canonical repository
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 23:04:13 +0100

Han-Wen Nienhuys <hanwenn@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 9:24 PM Carl Sorensen <c_sorensen@byu.edu> wrote:
>
>> Rune's branch is left around as a tribute, I believe.  Back in the day
>> (2.10 or so?) he completed a lot of significant work on Lilypond, then died
>> by suicide.
>>

> I don't think the branch was actively intended as a tribute;

_Actively_ the branch was intended as a contribution and you'll find
that Rune made his last commits (documentation) hours before his demise.

_Passively_ the discussion about cleaning up branches is not the first
such one and then it was decided to keep it, as a tribute if nothing
else.

With regard to its value as a contribution, of course these days the
code base has very much diverged and I don't think anybody ever checked
the design or intent of his last changes to figure out what goal he was
working on regarding LilyPond's accidental processing.