Re: \fixed and \relative

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: \fixed and \relative
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 13:24:19 +0100

Aaron Hill <lilypond@hillvisions.com> writes:

> A feature I would like \fixed to have is to honor the note name of the
> pitch so that you change that root note as well as the default octave.
> This would be helpful when entering music in scales other than C, as
> it lets you think about octaves in the relevant key signature.  So
> \fixed a' { a cis e a' } would produce \absolute { a' cis'' e'' a'''
> }, but currently you would have to use \fixed a' { a cis' e' a'' }
> since the cut-off for the octave is C.

The current behavior was chosen because it made anything but c as
notename useless (and undocumented), giving us time to think about the
best semantics without having them nailed down prematurely by
preexisting scores.

Lack of a "take from first note" option is similarly inspired.  It has
to be noted that, strictly speaking, the "take from first note" behavior
of \relative just is equivalent to \relative f { } without having to
explain what's special about f (it's not exactly equivalent but most
people will never encounter a situation where it isn't).

So "a feature I would like \fixed to have" is more a function of
persuading a significant majority that your interpretation of \fixed f''
is clearly the best for the sake of all users.

And then you still need to think about how to implement it.  That's not
trivial either.