Re: State of LilyPond with Guile 2.2

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: State of LilyPond with Guile 2.2
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 10:00:53 +0200

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 9:36 AM Jonas Hahnfeld <hahnjo@hahnjo.de> wrote:

> Am Montag, dem 12.04.2021 um 09:28 +0200 schrieb Han-Wen Nienhuys:
> > Not being able to use 64-bit addressing on Windows with GUILE 1.8 is
> > an extremely serious problem. What is the reason for this? Is it
> > because dynamic loading doesn't work correctly, and GUILE tries to
> > load SRFI modules as .dlls  ?
>
> No, the dynamic loading works on Windows (after all, how would 32 bit
> work otherwise?) The issue is that 64 bit on Windows uses a very weird
> ABI and long's are 4 bytes whereas pointers are 8 bytes. Guile isn't
> prepared to handle this, and the integrated GC fails in wonderful ways
> on this issue. If you want to know more, there's quite a bit of
> material just one search away.

I did a search, but clearly not the right one :) - do you have some pointers?

> Not sure if I mentioned this last year,
> but I actually tried to fix in Guile and gave up after a week or so. I
> seriously don't think that fixing this ourselves when a solution via
> bdwgc is readily available is a good investment of resources.

I had a look at GUILE's git history, and unfortunately, the BDGCW
change is one that was entangled with lots of other changes in the
run-up to 2.0. Sigh.

I am quite familiar with the 1.8 garbage collector, so I'm curious
where the fundamental problems come from, but given the traction of
the fixes I sent to TTN, investigating this for real would only be an
option if we went with the 1.8 fork route.

--
Han-Wen Nienhuys - hanwenn@gmail.com - http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen