Re: GUILE_CONFIG

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: GUILE_CONFIG
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2021 08:12:05 +0200

Am Montag, dem 07.06.2021 um 16:03 +0200 schrieb David Kastrup:
> I was just tripped up by
>
> commit 0fdf74b106d7b6c7dbb24a05f289ec4592724766
> Author: Jonas Hahnfeld <hahnjo@hahnjo.de>
> Date:   Mon Apr 5 21:03:14 2021 +0200
>
>     configure: Remove GUILE_CONFIG
>
>     This variable is deprecated and was added for transitioning build
>     configurations from version 2.20.
>
> Frankly, I don't get the point of sabotaging this.

This was discussed last year when you insisted on keeping guile-config
for 2.21.x while others were in favor of dropping it right away. I
totally don't get the point of "sabotaging" all ways of moving forward.

> I now need to write
>
> ./configure GUILE_FLAVOR=guile-1.8
> GUILE_CFLAGS="$(/usr/local/tmp/guile-1.8/bin/guile-config compile)"
> GUILE_LIBS="$(/usr/local/tmp/guile-1.8/bin/guile-config link)"
> --enable-checking
>
> instead of
>
> ./configure GUILE_CONFIG=/usr/local/tmp/guile-1.8/bin/guile-config
> --enable-checking
>
> The options correspond in non-obvious ways to calls of guile-config, and
> there is no obvious or documented way to adjust pkgconfig paths in a
> manner where it would detect a local guile installation without breaking
> all other package configuration on the way.

From ./configure --help:
  GUILE_FLAVOR
              pkgconfig name for Guile, like guile-1.8 or guile-2.2 . If the
              respective .pc file cannot be found by pkgconfig, add its path
              to PKG_CONFIG_PATH
  PKG_CONFIG  path to pkg-config utility
  PKG_CONFIG_PATH
              directories to add to pkg-config's search path
  PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR
              path overriding pkg-config's built-in search path

That's as obvious as it can get, and any search on the internet should
have pointed you to these variables. (GUILE_FLAVOR defaults to guile-
1.8 so you don't need to specify it; I'm just including its output
above to show that it already points to PKG_CONFIG_PATH)