Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 16:38:25 +0100

Hi Kieren,

Am 13.11.21 um 16:19 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
1. Is there any objection to me adding a TimeSignature style which would
immediately apply to all already-accepted time signatures?

2. If not, does anyone have opinions on what that style name should be? (Ones
that seem like obvious candidates to me include 'note-denom, 'notehead, and
'glyph… but I’m happy to hear suggested alternatives.)

I think that would be a great first contribution for you.

As for the name: Probably "denominator" and "note" should be a part of the name. "notehead" is wrong (you want to be able to distinguish crotchets and quavers and whatever English names I can come up with to annoy you ;-).) And if note-denominator is too long, note-denom might actually be a reasonable candidate.

Question: What should happen if TimeSignature.style = #'note-denom is _not_ set, but the
user does \time 4 { 8.~8 } ? Should this emit a warning "can't display this in
current style", or ...

For this longer-term project (\time \musicDenom 3 { 8.~8 }), there would be significant design choices involved: Which part of a music expression should be honoured, and what effect should they have especially on the beat structure of the created time signature?

Lukas