Re: Quotes around \consists argument?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Quotes around \consists argument?
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 16:09:56 +0200

Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> writes:

> Folks,
>
> See
> https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/1323#note_921986589
>
> The CG mandates quotes around the argument of \consists.
> (https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/contributor/lilypond-formatting)
>
> I find that odd, since the quotes are unnecessary, and there are lots
> of other places where quotes could be used but aren't in practice:
>
> \new Staff                not  \new "Staff"
> \override NoteHead.color  not  \override "NoteHead"."color"
> \repeat volta             not  \repeat "volta"
> \change Staff             not  \change "Staff"
>
> OK to drop that policy? I can easily make a patch to sed out all
> existing occurrences if consistency would be desired.

There are several differences at play here.  It is \new Staff in order
to make a visual distinction to \new Staff = "tenor" ...

The distinguishing feature of engraver names is that they can contain
underlines.  Now word syntax has gone a few iterations in the past, and
part of those iterations involved making (single) underlines a word
constituent.  That does not necessarily make them as visually cohesive
(and treated as word parts) in source code and editors.

I think we had this discussion at one time, possibly resulting in making
this have a unique style at least in documentation.