Re: \fine, pre-process-in-final-translation-timestep & co.

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: \fine, pre-process-in-final-translation-timestep & co.
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2022 16:08:54 -0400

On Jul 8, 2022, at 13:39, Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:

> Instead of rearranging the translation process to let \fine abort
> translation, let translation run normally until the end.
>
> Then, ‘cut’ the result.
> For layout output, there is already a battle-tested algorithm, the one used
> to break into pieces after determining page breaking. I think it should be
> feasible to adapt it to run right after translation a first time to eliminate
> the part after \fine. More precisely, it should be as if a \break was present
> as \fine and the subsequent systems were not printed.

Do you have any concern about other engravers might have acknowledged the grobs
that are about to be killed, which might have performed interesting actions
assuming that the grobs would continue to exist on one system or another?  Does
the battle-tested algorithm sort out all the consequences of creating those
grobs?
—
Dan