Re: Mixed chord/note mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Mixed chord/note mode
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 10:50:55 +0200

Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> writes:

> Le 14/08/2022 à 09:48, David Kastrup a écrit :
>> Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> writes:
>>
>>> Le 14/08/2022 à 01:15, David Kastrup a écrit :
>>>
>>> If it becomes one, I will have to remember that I need
>>> to use chord bracket for any chord, even if it's not
>>> a polychord. That's all.
>> Uh why?  We are not talking about changing \chordmode here.  This
>> proposal is about using chords as constituents within chord brackets in
>> \notemode .
>>
>> There is no valid (more exactly, no sensible valid) input that would
>> change meaning.
>

> Sorry for the imprecision: I will need to use chord angle brackets
> for any chord _in notes mode_, even if it's not a polychord.
>
> The problem is not with backwards compatibility but with cognitive
> dissonance from whatI perceive as an inconsistency.
>
> {
>   <c>  % I can do this
>   c    % but might as well shorten it as this.

Those are different things with different representations.  This may be
more obvious when writing c-1 instead of c here.

>   <c:> % I can also do this

Which is something completely different.

>   c:   % uh what?
> }

Not as much "uh what?" as a tremolo.

As a mnemonic, to make chords without chord brackets, you have to use
\chordmode .

If we allow <a:m c:> as polychord notation in \notemode, it would make
sense to also allow this in \chordmode since it should ultimately differ
from <<a:m c>> in octave resolution and duplicate removal.

But of course for this to happen, actual polychord semantics need to be
implemented, and hopefully a printable representation for the ChordNamer
established.

> As I said: I don't have a strong opinion. I just figured I'd
> voice my gut feeling on this.

I don't think it's bad.  My original desire was to obsolete \chordmode
but it does have a bit of a point compared to in-\notemode chords since
the latter really should be written "at pitch" rather than taken from
some default chord octave.

Yes, the overlap with chord notation is a nuisance.  And strictly
speaking, we should have chord tremoli like

\chordmode
{
  c:: a:m:
}

which are currently a syntax error (because : is lexed as chord-colon in
chord-mode, which might be desirable to change if the grammar can be
made to deal with it).