Re: The hel-arabic.ly file story...

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: The hel-arabic.ly file story...
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 10:51:09 -0600

On 1/2/2023 10:25 AM, Amir Czwink wrote:
But I wonder, how the process will work then? Every one simply commits
what he thinks is best and we regularly overwrite each others
contributions?

LilyPond's process for contributions is documented here, in the Contributor's Guide:

<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.25/Documentation/contributor/lifecycle-of-a-merge-request>

Especially section 3.3.3 Patch Countdown:

"
The Patch Meister reviews the tracker periodically, to list patches which have been on review for at least 24 hours. For each patch, the Handler reviews any discussion on the merge request, to determine whether the patch can go forward. If there is any indication that a developer thinks the patch is not ready, the Handler marks it Patch::needs_work and makes a comment regarding the reason, referring to the comment if needed.

Patches with explicit approval, or at least no negative comment, are updated to Patch::countdown. The countdown is a 48-hour waiting period in which any final reviews or complaints should be made.
"

I understand this process was set up to balance the interests of both code reviewers and contributors, in regard to how long it takes a contribution to become part of the code base.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA