Re: updating merge request

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: updating merge request
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 01:00:27 +0100

Le 20/01/2023 à 23:45, David Zelinsky a écrit :
Note that it's not strictly necessary that a merge request consists of
one commit only: Logically independent "smallish" commits are fine
(possible example: one commit for the feature, one for the larger
documentation revision the feature necessitates). But always make sure
that each single commit gives a "working" version of LilyPond in order
to allow for bisecting later ...
I see the logic in this.  In my case, most of the the MR reviews were
pointing out typos or small stylistic corrections.  I can see that it
makes sense to fix those with an --amend.  But one of the reviews
(Jean's) suggested adding a few inline examples in the documentation I
had written.  Is that something that's worth including as a new commit?
Both versions are complete and valid; it's just a question of which is
better.  After everyone sees the examples I've added, the consensus
*might* be the original version was best.

Does that make sense?

Not worth a separate commit IMHO. (Objections against adding examples
seem unlikely.)

(Personally, I use two local branches for developing a feature: one in
which I keep track of my progress by adding commit after commit, and
one which is the "squashed" version that I update with amend/squash
and use for pushing. git's interactive rebase feature is my best
friend here. But there might be better methods.)
Yes, in any case I have no intention of overwriting my own local
history.  I like to commit frequently, so each commit reflects some
specific change, not a bunch of different things.  I will rebase -i on a
parellel branch and squash the things that don't warrant new commits in
the MR.

As you wish, however this sounds like it will involve lots of busywork.

In general, if splitting into multiple commits helps understanding,
it should be in the branch submitted for review anyway. If it doesn't,
it's not clear to me why you want the chronology for yourself, but
it's your choice of course.