Re: Explicit default duration?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Explicit default duration?
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 22:16:40 +0100

Aaron Hill <lilypond@hillvisions.com> writes:

> On 2023-01-26 9:57 am, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Luca Fascione <l.fascione@gmail.com> writes:
>>> I'd think that if 'x' meant "last pitch" and 'X' meant "last
>>> chord", things
>>> would be real peachy.
>> Not a fan of using case distinction here (doesn't help that the
>> German
>> accordion accompaniment notation uses c for a c major chord and C for a
>> single c root note).
>> Maybe xx for chords...  Should be fast enough to type and is
>> somewhat
>> mnemonic.  At least more so than y .
>
> Users probably are used to case-sensitivity with r and R for rests and
> multi-measure rests, respectively.

Sure, but assuming a German accordion input mode using uppercase for
single notes and lowercase for chords, x for note repetition and X for
chord repetition would be quite awkward.

I'll admit that xx does not look chord-like from its syntax, but we
don't have a single character <x> or x: lookalike.

Huh.  <x> as a chord repeat?  Maybe too clever.

> I could get behind 'xx' for chords as the naming seems to imply
> multiple notes are being reused.  However, 'q' for "qords" should
> still work even if 'x' were introduced.

Ok...