Re: website suggestion

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: website suggestion
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 01:16:03 -0700

On Mon, 02 Sep 2002 02:06:21 +0200 (CEST)
Atte Andre Jensen <address@hidden> wrote:
> I often thought it's a bit anoying what the <title> is on most of the
> website. If one searches one gets something like:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?btnG=Google+Search&brut_query=grace&q=site%3Awww.lilypond.org+-wiki+grace
>
> where most pages are called either "GNU LilyPond" or "LilyPond
> internals". OK, I can just look to the url to see which pages are
> about what, but I think a more telling <title> would be nice...

Hmm.  I agree with that, but it would be a moderate amount of work to go
through and add titles to every page.  I can see how it would be done,
though.  I suppose I could add them to pages while I go through the
user manual.

OTOH, that's a fairly easy (though somewhat boring) task to do --
a perfect way to introduce somebody to Lilypond development, speaking
from experience (I started editing the tutorial and manual about a month
ago).  Would you be interested in doing it?  You obviously care about
LilyPond, and you have good ideas for the documentation.  It's not hard
to get involved, and the more easy stuff we do, the less time the
LilyPond Devel Gods need to spend doing easy stuff.  (so they can keep
on working on the hard programming stuff  :)

If you're interested, I'd be more than happy to help you get started
(answering any questions about how to edit the documentation, how
to submit patches, and the like -- in case you're a bit shy about
asking questions on lilypond-devel.  I was.  :)

Once you've done a simple task like adding webpage titles, you can do
other things too -- next time you notice an incorrect link in the
reference manual, you could send the fix along yourself rather than
simply telling us about it.  As an added bonus to getting involved in
devel stuff, you feel great when your patch is added to CVS.  *grin*

Cheers,
- Graham