Re: jazz articulations

From: Jens Haug
Subject: Re: jazz articulations
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 13:56:05 +0200 (MEST)

> > I'd like to add some symbols for jazz articulations to my notes.
> > The most important ones are the fall (like a slow glissando
> > from the note down to nowhere), the opposite of this (kind of a
> > glissando from nowhere up to the note), and the bend (dropping
> > the the tone by relaxing the lips).
>
> What does a bend look like?

More or less like this: )
You put it in front of a note like a raise (glissando).
When you should do the raise with the lips only (bend), the
symbol is a bent line (like a slur). When you should do the
raise like a glissando (using the fingers, playing other notes),
the symbol is a zigzag line.
When the composer uses a straight line, you don't know what
to do. ;-)
Sometimes, the bend symbol is placed above the note instead of
before the note.

> > How can this be done?
>
> Well, in 1.8 it will probably be possible (and perhaps even in an easy
> way) - but in 1.6 there is afaics not much you can do.
> The attached kludge does something like what you request. (raise and
> fall, that is). Please comment on the layout.

I'm sorry, it doesn't seem to work for me (lilypond 1.6.5):

Parsing...Backtrace:
0* left

ERROR: In expression left:
ERROR: Unbound variable: left

What can I be doing wrong?

Jens

--
Jens Haug
IKFF Universität Stuttgart              Tel. 0711/685-6422