Re: Help getting started - lilypond structure

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: Help getting started - lilypond structure
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 22:36:37 +1000

This is a follow-up on the question of lilypond structure. Here is how I think a lilypond file is organised. It is fairly important that I get this right, because I am trying to rewrite the lily parser in denemo. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

A Voice consists of a sequence of notes and various other objects (like time signatures, etc). The notes are entirely sequential.

A \notes block consists of one or more Voice contexts. The Voices can be arranged sequentially or in parallel or a combination of both.

A Staff consists of one or more \notes blocks. The blocks can be arranged sequentially or in parallel or a combination of both.

A \score block consists of one or more Staves. The Staves can be arranged seqentially or in parallel or a combination of both.

Additionally, staves can be grouped (in parallel only) into Piano Staves, Grand Staves, Choir Staves and several other group types. These groups can be included in a \score block in the same way single staves are.

TIA,
Joe

PS, if I have "\notes{a4 b << {c d} {e f} >> }", then the {c d} by itself is a Voice context, right? And so is {e f}?