ChordName placement - above or below staff

From: Fred Smith
Subject: ChordName placement - above or below staff
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 07:51:53 -0700 (PDT)

I believe I found that this question has already been posted - however, I did not see an answer. Any pointers would greatly be appreciated!

I'm trying to create lead sheets using lilypond.  However, I'm unable to control whether chord names are printed above or below the staff - the position seems to be affected by (in my limited understanding) unrelated changes. The example below was done using lilypond 2.8.5 on a Windows build.

When the key is set (\key aes \major), the chord names appear below the staff. When the key is not set (if you comment that line out), the chord names appear above the staff. Is there a way to explicitly place the chord names in relation to the staff?

Thanks again for any pointers to documentation on how to control this! ( I would really like to always have chord names above the staff - all the documentation and examples I have found show them as appearing above the staff by default.)

-fred

{
\key aes \major
{\time  4/4}
  {
  <<
      \chords {c1 d1}
      {f'8 aes'8~ \times 2/3 {aes'8 f'8 aes'8} bes'8 aes'4 f'16 des'16}

  }