Re: ChordName placement - above or below staff

From: Fred Smith
Subject: Re: ChordName placement - above or below staff
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 08:40:34 -0700 (PDT)

Mats -

Thank you for your quick and clear response. I now understand that the time signature and key are aspects of the staff, and that the chords are independent/parallel. This has resolved my issue, and I am now unblocked!

Thanks again,
-fred

Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> wrote:
If you want a staff above the chords, the basic structure is
<<
staff stuff
chord stuff

You have mixed it all together.

The following modified version of your example prints the chord names
below the staff. If you want it above, just move the \chords{...} up above
the initial '{'.
<<
{
\key aes \major
\time 4/4
f'8 aes'8~ \times 2/3 {aes'8 f'8 aes'8} bes'8 aes'4 f'16 des'16
}
\chords {c1 d1}

To make the structure even more clear, I would propose to explicitly
specify what you want:

\score{
<<
\new Staff {
\key aes \major
\time 4/4
f'8 aes'8~ \times 2/3 {aes'8 f'8 aes'8} bes'8 aes'4 f'16 des'16
}
\new ChordNames \chordmode {c1 d1}

}

(note that "\chords" is just a shorthand for "\new ChordNames \chordmode")

/Mats

Fred Smith wrote:

> I believe I found that this question has already been posted -
> however, I did not see an answer. Any pointers would greatly be
> appreciated!
>
> I'm trying to create lead sheets using lilypond. However, I'm unable
> to control whether chord names are printed above or below the staff -
> the position seems to be affected by (in my limited understanding)
> unrelated changes. The example below was done using lilypond 2.8.5 on
> a Windows build.
>
> When the key is set (\key aes \major), the chord names appear below
> the staff. When the key is not set (if you comment that line out), the
> chord names appear above the staff. Is there a way to explicitly place
> the chord names in relation to the staff?
>
> Thanks again for any pointers to documentation on how to control this!
> ( I would really like to always have chord names above the staff - all
> the documentation and examples I have found show them as appearing
> above the staff by default.)
>
> -fred
>

> %{ ------------ Open the song: ---------------- %}
> {
> \key aes \major
> {\time 4/4}
> {
> <<
> \chords {c1 d1}
> {f'8 aes'8~ \times 2/3 {aes'8 f'8 aes'8} bes'8 aes'4 f'16
> des'16}
> >>
> }
> %{ ------------ and finish ------------ %}
> }