Re: Two-Pass Vertical Spacing

From: William Oram
Subject: Re: Two-Pass Vertical Spacing
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 19:00:47 -0600

On Dec 22, 2006, at 4.00 PM, address@hidden wrote:

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 21:37:41 +0100
From: Nicolas Sceaux <address@hidden>
To: William Oram <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden

William Oram <address@hidden> writes:

I've been toying with two-pass vertical spacing. Pretty neat, and
exactly what I need. A couple questions:

1) Is it *supposed* to force each system onto a separate page?

No. The purpose of two pass spacing is to have the same page breaks, but
with bigger systems, that is less space between systems.

Well, naturally, some systems are too big to accomodate anything else on
the same page. These are the ones that are properly respaced. The point
I'm trying to make is that systems small enough to allow others on the
same page a) are given their own page regardless, and b) not respaced at
all.

2) This seems to be something that can't be applied across a \book {} of
scores. I suppose with a little work a book could be broken into
individual scores, processed separately, then merged together with
LaTeX. But \book was invented to avoid that old mess, no?

Two-pass spacing works on several score books -- it was written for
that. By the way, are you sure you need to explicitely use \book?

Maybe you could send the ly file with the score definitions (that is,
the \score blocks, but without the notes), to see if you're using it the
right way.

Given the zillion movements bundled together in this project, I assure
you \book is wise. ;) But this I did figure out, and multiple movements
are respaced. I didn't expect this given my perusal and brief (miscoded)
trial of T-PVS' syntax -- it seemed like a one-movement-only toy.

Problem 1) still remains, but turning it into a rest-only sample for bug
killing purposes (granted it is a bug) is a good idea. If anyone
associated with development/Google Code wants to file this, I'll get to
making such a sample right quick.

Yours very truly &c.,

I have to smile and remember
when you accuse me of that smell
                       _   |  WILL ORAM
ASCII ribbon campaign ( )  |  spamguy (at) foxchange . com
 - against HTML email  X   |  wro1 (at) cwru . edu
             & vCards / \  |
                           |  AIM spamguy21
(ABOVE: Magnetic poetry #3)