Re: Absolute Beginners

From: Manuel
Subject: Re: Absolute Beginners
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 03:01:47 +0100

Am 26/12/2006 um 02:39 schrieb Geoff Horton:

You can, of course, change these and all other defaults; indeed you
can engrave old plainchant, contemporary notation, orchestral scores,
do MIDI files, and more. But all that lies further down the road. For
the moment, we will teach you how to engrave a simple melody.

Plainchant engraving doesn't work well at the moment, so you might
want to omit mentioning it here.

Doesn't it? I have seen so much material concerning it, that I find it somehow strange, I thought it would be in an advanced state of development. But if you say so...

You can analyze the exercise and see that the first note e appears a
third above middle c rather than a sixth below; the same happens with
the following g in relation to the preceding e; then comes a c a
fourth above the g instead of a fifth below, an so forth.

"then comes a c a" is confusing. It looks at first glance as if both
"a"s are pitches, not the English indefinite article. I can't come up
with a good way to fix this at the moment.

Yes, I thought of that too, and I intend to solve the problem if and when I get to format the layout for a .pdf document. It should be no big problem. For the moment, I think I shall just break the lines, like:

then comes a

a fourth above

another possible solution in TextEdit being the use of double quotes,

then comes a "c" a fourth above

You change the clef changing the term "treble" to

Would "word" be better than "term"? Also, the most recent preceding
example used an alto clef. If the examples are numbered, you could
refer to the one you want.

I have changed it to "word" and then to "term". I don't mind changing it back to "word" if it is better than "term".

You can amuse yourself writing all possible and also impossible
examples of simple melodies, and see what happens. Don't worry,
whatever you type, you can't break it...

I would change that last sentence, because it is easy enough to type
things that won't compile, and a new user might well regard that as
"breaking it".

Fine, I will suggest another way of putting it, maybe like:

...even if it can't compile, the program will not crash.

(if this it true, of course). There has been another suggestion in this concern, I'll look it up.

(Please note that this is not necessarily the way you are used to
naming the notes, just a quick, logical and easy way to work with
LilyPond.)

Can you perhaps add something like: "If you would prefer to use more
familiar names, see the section in the manual on "note names in other
languages.""?

Sure!

What is the exact name of the manual and the section number or title?

But it's getting late again and I thing I'm going to bed now.

Manuel