Re: Fonts in SVG output

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Fonts in SVG output
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 09:38:22 +0200

Le jeudi 31 mai 2007 à 13:16 -0400, Benjamin Esham a écrit :
> Krokyn wrote:
>
> >> and the piano-staff brace showed up as a small box.
> >
> > I think there is problem with font, not in Inkscape. Preview of svg
> > file is
> > with bad fonts in Gnome Nautilus too. It is not possible choose
> > Aubabtu from
> > font list in Text Editors (I tried it in OpenOffice in Ubuntu). And
> > I have
> > bad note heads shown with other font in Inkscape too and changed
> > the clefs
> > :(
> >
> > Please compare:
> > http://krokyn.wz.cz/Hudba/Bach.png
> > http://krokyn.wz.cz/Hudba/Bach.svg-Inkscape.png
>
> My output is the same as yours.  What should I do to file this as an
> official bug?  Wikipedia has some music samples that were made with
> Sibelius and which are quite ugly.  I'm trying to replace them with
> SVG, the preferred format, from LilyPond, but obviously the output is
> useless right now.

Currently, it's not a good idea to include SVG files generated by
LilyPond in web pages on the Internet, because you have to make sure OTF
fonts -- from the LilyPond version used to generate the SVG -- are
installed on the (e.g. in ~/.fonts).  SVG files generated by LilyPond
are rather to be processed on a server or a machine building a web site,
where SVGs are cnoverted to PNGs -- that's what we do on lilypond.org
for language-dependent pictures, see
http://lilypond.org/web/switch/howto for example.

Cheers
--