Re: *.mid vs *.midi

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: *.mid vs *.midi
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 10:44:45 +0200

On 16 May 2008, at 08:23, Graham Percival wrote:

OSX *isn't* stupid, but it pretends to
be.  I have no clue what the Aqua people were up to.  :(

The underlying UNIX does not care about file extensions: it is the Finder program that does. On UFS (UNIX file system), the meta-data is stored in files starting with "._", for example "foo.midi" may have a file named "._foo.midi". Then the opening precedences seem to be: first metadata, then file name extension, then perhaps looking into the file and determining the type.

This behavior can be changed from the Finder "Get Info" dialog of the file and from within some program, but I find convenient using the program:
  http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCDefaultApp/

  Hans Åberg