Re:Why do Lilyond Engravers have inhibitions to store their score in

From: ross
Subject: Re:Why do Lilyond Engravers have inhibitions to store their score in Mutopia?
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 07:56:01 -0500

- Why do Lilyond Engravers have inhibitions to store their score in Mutopia?
- Are there any hidden fences which I am not able to see?
- Are the copyright-restrictions the reason for keeping scores hidden?
- Is Mutopia not worth contributing?
- Why is Mutopia not the official music code repository for Lilypond?

- Or am I misleaded?

The guy Chris who accepts submissions has a good eye for what will work under copyright law.

For example, just last month for an upcoming recital I used Lilypond to edit together this Haydn Divertimento for clarinets and horns whose parts are in C in both the published and urtext editions. Just to be a nice guy and share my work with the world, I sent this music (composed by a guy who died 200 years ago next month) to Mutopia. Unfortunately citing "urtext" as my source failed because the edition wasn't old enough. I wouldn't know where to begin to find a suitably old edition to cite it; any of you musicologists out there have any advice?

But getting back to your questions: Mutopia is nice, but I should hope that, someday, when compiling a score takes a fraction of a second and copyright law is overhauled, people will use Wikimedia Commons to store and edit all of man's written music. I can't wait until the day they bring the lilypond plugin for MediaWiki over to Wikipedia!

Regards
Ross Uber