Re: Lyric problem when alternative begins with a rest

From: Tim Rowe
Subject: Re: Lyric problem when alternative begins with a rest
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 15:51:28 +0100

2009/5/12 Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden>:

> Is that really in the documentation? With voltas and barchecks in the
> lyrics?  =\

I've lost where I found it now, so maybe I was just thought I was
still in the documentation on the webpage I was browsing!

> \version "2.12.2"
> \include "english.ly"
>
> global = {
>  \repeat volta 2 {
>    s1
>  }
>  \alternative
>  {
>    { s1 }
>    { s1 }
>  }
> }
>
> melody = \relative c' {
>    c4 d e f   |
>    { r2 r4 g4 }
>    { c,1 }
> }
>
> words = \lyricmode {
>  do re mi fa
>  { so }
>  { do }
> }
>
> \score {
>  <<
>    \new Staff << \global \melody >>
>    \addlyrics { \words }
>  >>
> }
>
> Now, if the structure changes (e.g., you make the volta alternatives ten
> bars each, instead of one) you only have to change it in one place (i.e.,
> the global variable).

But presumably I have to count up the bars and put in the appropriate
number of silent rests? That seems clunky -- but at least it will get
the music out in time for rehearsal, so many thanks again!

--
Tim Rowe