runover staff lines with hidden time signature

From: Alan Shaw
Subject: runover staff lines with hidden time signature
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 17:04:19 -0700 (PDT)

I've seen discussion of a similar situation at the end of a line, where it
can be fixed by adjusting break-visibility, but this is a little different.
What I am trying to do is set certain passages where a choir and instruments
play together, and the instruments then repeat without the choir. In the
simplified snippet here, the first line shows basically what I want. The
second line differs only in that the time signature changes right at the
volta, and though I am able to hide the new time signature in the choir
part, the staff lines around it still get drawn before \stopStaff takes
effect. How can I fix this?

\version "2.12.2"

\layout  {
\context  { \Score
\remove "Volta_engraver"
         } }

\score {
\relative
<<
%% no left repeat sign and chorus staff stops cleanly before volta bracket
\new Staff <<
{  \time 4/4 c'4 d e f \once \set Staff.whichBar = "|"
\repeat volta 2 {  a, b c d \stopStaff }
            \alternative  {
                 { s1 | }
                 { s1 | }
             }
\break
\startStaff
 c4 d e f \once \set Staff.whichBar = "|"
\repeat volta 2 { a, b c d \stopStaff  \once \override Staff.TimeSignature
#'stencil = ##f  \time 3/4 }
            \alternative  {
                   { s2. |   } % new time signature suppressed, but staff
lines still run over
                   { s2. |  }
             }
\startStaff