Re: runover staff lines with hidden time signature

From: Alan Shaw
Subject: Re: runover staff lines with hidden time signature
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 11:09:18 -0700 (PDT)

No one offered a workaround, so here is what I came up with myself. Maybe
some more savvy people on the forum can have a look and tell me how it could
be improved upon.

I simply put a white filled box in place of the time signature stencil. But
it took a lot of fiddling to get something satisfactory. The only remaining
flaw I see is that there is a slight leftward shift in the overall spacing
around the time signature (not affecting the distance from the bar to the TS
in the other staff, however). This is probably a result of initially
reducing the X-extent of the TS, which, unfortunately, seems to be the
crucial step for this approach to work. Otherwise the extra staff lines just
get pushed out to the right of the box.

I know this probably seems like a low priority bug, but it was holding up
work on my score. Others may possibly have a use for the workaround, so I've
put it into a variable, as follows:

TSwo =  {
\once \override Staff.TimeSignature #'X-extent =  #'(0 . 2)
\once \override Staff.TimeSignature #'stencil = #ly:text-interface::print
\once \override Staff.TimeSignature #'text = \markup  {
\with-color #white \filled-box #'(-0.7 . 3) #'(-2.5 . 2.5)  #1 }
}

This can be put in place of the command to delete the TS stencil in the
original snippet.

best,

Alan