Re: slurs and bars in vocal music

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: slurs and bars in vocal music
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 11:10:04 -0400

Hi Reinhold,

here in Europe, that is traditional notation

Yes, it's "traditional notation" over here, too...   ;)

From the Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, pg 186:
"Beaming of notes associated with a lyric now follows standard notational practice. Traditional practice, now obsolete, was to use flags for eighth notes, sixteenth notes, etc. Beams were only used for melismas."

I don't own any other modern style guides (i.e., written or re-edited in the last 20 years), but I'd be shocked if they contradicted that.

if you are used to classical music, the "new" notation is quite confusing
and the  singers will have problems when sight-reading.

Actually, I've personally conducted several tests on different occasions (different choirs) with two different editions of the same score: the beamed-to-beat was easier for them to sight read than the beamed-to-melisma, every time. Furthermore, I have had conversations with numerous professional singers, conductors, and orchestral players — every single one, *without exception*, has said it's more difficult to read improperly beamed notes (e.g., harpists in orchestra, where the hand is supposed to switch on a gliss but the beaming is "melismatic").

But anyone can feel free to use an obsolete, more difficult notation system if they really want to! ;)

Cheers,
Kieren.