Re: Replies to the list

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Replies to the list
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 10:11:49 +0200

> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Tim McNamara <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 1, 2010, at 6:12 AM, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
>>
>>> If someone posts to the list
>>> and he is not subscribed then replying to all does exactly the right
>>> thing.  It sends the reply to the list regardless of the Reply-to field
>>> and it sends a copy to the OP.
>>
>> There is no need to send an extra copy to the OP because he or she
>> will get a copy from the listserv;
>
> If the OP knows how to read, the OP will have set the option in the
> listserv **NOT** to get such extra emails.

Huh?  If he has set the option, he will not get the mail again if and
_only_ if he is being sent an extra copy in the headers.  So the
recipients setting this option are not relevant to the decision of
whether to send an extra copy.

One problem I know from some mailing lists ist that the number of Cc in
the headers increases with every Reply-To-All until it reaches a count
of 10, after which the mailing list server decides it must be spam and
does no longer distribute it, unnoticed by the 10 people already in the
Cc.

--
David Kastrup