Re: best practices

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: best practices
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 21:16:12 +0100

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 10:07:28PM +0200, Martin Tarenskeen wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Sep 2010, David Kastrup wrote:
>
> >It is agreed-upon best practice _not_ to use those abbreviations on the
> >general user list.
>
> I agree, but: Since many people use these abbreviations, Would it be
> an an idea to mention those abreviations on manuals.html and in the
> titles at the top of the manuals. something like:
>
>       LilyPond - Notation Reference (NR)
>
> Just an idea to make more people happy.

We tried that briefly in the first half of 2008, but the (NR)
stuff wasn't visible enough, and we still had questions.  I think
the best solution is just to remind people not to do this.

Users replying to emails from 2-4 years ago will still encounter
these cryptic abbreviations, but this happens fairly rarely.  As
long as we try to avoid words like "Um." or "err." or "erm" or
"eto" (in Japanese) when clarifying those old emails, I think
we'll be ok.

Cheers,
- Graham