Re: how to add punctuation mark (or other things) at the end of lyricext

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: how to add punctuation mark (or other things) at the end of lyricextender?
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 22:20:27 +0100

2011/1/18 Marc Hohl <address@hidden>:
> Am 18.01.2011 13:48, schrieb Janek Warchoł:
>> i have a melisma at the end of a sentence and
>> i'd like the dot to appear after the extender (like in the bottom of
>> the attachment).
>> How can this be done? Manuals seem to say nothing about this, as well
>> as the mailing list archive.
>
> Does
>
> http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?u=1&id=643
>
> help?

Yes!
Sorry that i forgot to search in LSR, i should've done it myself...
Unfortunately this snippet prints unnecessary punctuation when the
extender crosses line break (see the attachment).
I also don't know how to center the attached-to-the-extender text
under the final note of the melisma (negative values of padding are
unconvenient because they must be searched for, and also the extender
still appears below the syllabe).
Nevertheless thank you very much!

2011/1/18 Phil Holmes <address@hidden>:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Janek Warchoł"
> <address@hidden>
>> do the books that you quote provide any
>> explanation?
>
> The books don't say why it is to be done this way (normally they don't give
> explanations for any of the "rules"), simply that it's the way it's done.

That's bad...
I don't trust rules without explanations unless it really doesn't
matter at all how something is done. It's too easy to keep doing
things the wrong way only because someone once told "it should be done
this way". (consider how ski-jumpers jumped with skis parallell for
many decades, while V-style is much better, and how V-style inventor
Jan Boklöv was heavily criticised when he began to use it)
Of course, usually the rules are correct. Nevertheless if i cannot
find arguments to support them (usually its easy to find some), i
reject them.

thanks,
Janek