Overriding bar-line behaviour

From: Matthias Hüsken
Subject: Overriding bar-line behaviour
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 19:13:35 +0100

Hi again,

while trying to change LilyPond's behaviour concerning bar lines, I stumbled
upon some strange behaviour. What I'd like to achieve: When ending a bar with
e repetition sign ":|", I need double lines ("||") at the beginning of the
next bar.

I found bar-glyph-alist in scm/output-lib.scm and decided to change it to the
following lines (shortened for this example):

#(define bar-glyph-alist
  '(
    ;; regular bar
    ("|" . ("|" . ()))
    ;; repetitions
    ("|:" . ("|" . "|:"))
    (":|" . (":|" . ()))
    (":|:" . (":|" . "|:"))
    ;; double lines
    ("||" . ("||" . ()))
    ;; double lines combined with repetitions
    ("||:" . ("||" . "|:"))
    (":||" . (":|" . "||"))
    ))

When setting music now, everything works as expected.

As I consider changing LilyPond's default files as hacking, I decided to move
the list into my .ly file (see attached file) and revert scm/output-lib.scm
to its original state. Unfortunately, this does not work: LilyPond leaves the
end of the line (where a repetition sign ":|" should be found) empty, as well
as the beginning of the next line.

Does anyone have any clues what's going wrong?

Thanks,

Matthias