Re: Thinking about putting together a grant to support development onLil

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Thinking about putting together a grant to support development onLilyPond
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 14:49:43 +0100

W dniu 10 lutego 2012 14:30 użytkownik Graham Percival
<address@hidden> napisał:
> I suggest the following:
>
> 1) pick a specific work, or body of works, which are
> unquestionably in the public domain.  A Dvorak string quartet?
> Beethoven piano concerto?  Bach chorales?  Something already in
> mutopia?
> (actually, I quite like the mutopia angle, since then nobody needs
> to spend time typing in a score)

I don't think that's a good idea.  People will read the description
and say "what's the point?  the score is already available, in free
format!  i better spend my money on something like Open Goldberg
Variations".
Remember that most people cannot tell good engraving from bad one.
Even many musicians don't; my conductor - otherwise a really competent
musician - uses finale-crap scores that make me cry, and doesn't even
notice any problem.
See how Musescore Open Goldberg Variations advertised themselves:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/293573191/open-goldberg-variations-setting-bach-free/posts/61854
The Musescore-made snippet is not that great engraving-wise, but people dug it.

W dniu 10 lutego 2012 14:36 użytkownik Graham Percival
<address@hidden> napisał:
> I know that lots of people will want lots of fancy stuff like
> lyrics, tablature, orchestral scores, contemporary notation, etc
> -- but I really, really, strongly suggest that you aim to have a
> turn-over of a month at most in the beginning, which means keeping
> the first few scores being fairly simple and small.

+1000

cheers,
Janek