Re: Problem with remove bar number/ why I'm not upgrading to the new sta

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Problem with remove bar number/ why I'm not upgrading to the new stable version
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 13:49:33 -0500

Hi James,

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 1:08 PM, james <address@hidden> wrote:

> My main issue is that when I don't understand how to do something, while
> there might be a way to do it that I could understand, because the "power
> users" are the ones that more often than not respond, I'm left with an answer
> that my solve my immediate problem, but in a way that I don't understand, and
> can't adapt to future problems. Unfortunately, there's no real solution to
> the problem other than saying, "and please limit the amount of scheme in an
> answer, because I don't understand it".

OK, I guess I qualify as one of the "power users" who puts a bit of
Scheme on the lists.  There are questions that can be answered with a
simple "do this basic override and look at this reference for more
info".  If there are questions like this, that's the kind of answer I
give (though I am usually beaten to it!)

However, there are often questions that can't be answered in any way
but to delve into Scheme.  As recently, for example, when a question
was posed about using \draw-line to make a dashed line instead of a
solid one.  AFAIK, there's no simple way to do it which you can look
up in one of the manuals.  The only way to answer the poster's
question was to rewrite Lily's Scheme code for \draw-line into Scheme
code for a new command \draw-dashed-line, which Harm and I did.  Maybe
someday Lily will be enhanced so that no one need "see the gears," but
in the meantime, that's the stopgap solution these questions will
receive.  (Unless they are to remain unanswered, that is.)

Lately, I have noticed that there are fewer basic questions being
asked.  I do hope that that's not through some sort of intimidation,
over a misconception over what this forum is about.  Perhaps users are
finding their answers more reliably in the manuals, and it is only
when they can't find them that they turn to the lists--I don't know.

-David