Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 22:23:24 +0100 (CET)

[Vernon Adams and Eben Sorkin are two typographers who are actively
 designing lots of typefaces, Dave Crossland is a fabulous promoter of
 free font development.]

> I'd like to collect some suggestion for a replacement font for
> Century Schoolbook.
>
> I created a style sheet for a certain kind of score that I need
> regularely, namely classical voice-piano songs.  [...]  I am quite
> pleased with the result (as you can see in
> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/49478835/Seligkeit-sample.pdf.
>
> [...]
>
> However, this visual appearance relies quite heavily on the use of a
> non-free Adobe text font (Minion) - LilyPond's built in default
> wouldn't work at all.  I don't have problems _using_ it for my own
> work, but of course one can't base a tutorial on it.  And maybe I'd
> be feeling even better if I found a free alternative for my own use.
> What proved especially valuable is the presence of a semibold
> condensed version of the font, which works very well for the lyrics,
> making their spacing tight enough while at the same time fitting
> well with the 'heavy' impression of the musical score.
>
> So (to finally get to the point) I'd be happy about suggestions for
> good free text fonts to use with LilyPond.  They should be well
> equipped in terms of language support and have a good array of
> weights and spacings.

Vern, Eben, Dave, do you have suggestions?

Besides a font with similar functionality as Minion, I would like to
find a font which resembles the `classical' text font used about 100
years ago in Germany for virtually all vocal scores (see attachment).
Interestingly, I haven't seen a good replacement yet in *any*
computer-typesetted score.

    Werner

JPEG image