Re: Aw: Re: Pseudo-handwritten font

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Aw: Re: Pseudo-handwritten font
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 12:20:22 +0100 (CET)

> In the first place: I've attached a zip file containing the current
> (albeit unfinished) versions of the LilyJAZZ music and LilyJAZZ Text
> font plus the corresponding LilyJAZZ.ily include.

Very impressive!

> The main obstacle is the rigid way Lilypond handles its (her, his?)
> internal music font.

What do you mean with `rigid'?

> I deliberately decided to stick to an "ordinary" OTF/TTF font first
> to learn how to use external fonts (who knows what it's good for)
> and my metafont phase of life dates back to the last millennium.

It's not necessary to use Metafont at all!  However, you currently
rely on the glyph metrics from feta (at least partially), but you use
different glyphs.  To be really independent you have to add `LILC',
`LILF', and `LILY' tables to the font.  I can imagine that it is not
too complicated to write corresponding scripts for FontForge.

I vote for adding the stuff as-is since it is very non-intrusive, and
better LilyPond integration can be a future project.

    Werner