Re: So, slashed beamed grace notes...

From: Gilberto Agostinho
Subject: Re: So, slashed beamed grace notes...
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 15:56:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Simon,

When dealing with older music, the grace notes are normally referred as
appoggiaturas and the slashed grace notes as acciaccaturas. In general
lines, an appogiatura is played with its full value of duration, which is
then subtracted from the main note. It is easier to see an image of it:

notation:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/22/Appoggiatura_notation.png/320px-Appoggiatura_notation.png
execution:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f9/Appogiatura_common_practice_interpretation.png

One classic example of use of appoggiaturas is in Mozart's Rondo Alla Turca:

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n152873/Mozart.png>

One of the reasons Mozart uses this kind of notation throughout his works,
instead of writing something like the staff in the bottom of the example
above, is because the first notes are dissonant to the harmony.

* * *

An acciaccatura is generally interpreted as to be played as fast as
possible. So here is an example:

notation:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/35/Acciaccatura_notation.png/320px-Acciaccatura_notation.png
execution:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/dd/Acciaccatura_execution.png/320px-Acciaccatura_execution.png

When it comes to contemporary music, both types of grace notes tend to be
interpreted as "play as fast as possible". That said, the slashed graces are
the most common type of grace notes I see on scores from the 1950s to today
(at least in the kind of music I listen to).

I hope it helps somehow.

Regards,
Gilberto